Cocktail rings invite visions of sophistication, style and elegance, a gentle hand of a gentler touch, emphasized with a glittering jewel. They’re the perfect piece if you want to dazzle a crowd and feel effortlessly confident!
These pieces have long been one of the pillars of the fashion world, but sometimes they might be tricky to pin down. If you don’t know what a cocktail ring is, or if it would fit your personal style, don’t worry – they encompass an array of designs and styles, so a perfect match for you is out there!
Cocktail Rings in History and Today
A cocktail ring is most usually a bold, dramatic piece of jewelry, one that catches everyone’s eye and has such an aura about it, it’s impossible to turn away. Think bigger and bolder, a statement piece that can sometimes border on the gaudy.
Their allure is magnified by their history – their first boom in popularity was during the 1920s and the prohibition era. Sneaking in and out of speakeasies, enjoying the abandon of a good drink and better music, cocktail rings were just another way to show off your indomitable spirit!
Wearing such a piece was another way to claim and proclaim your confidence and independence as a woman. The original power jewelry, cocktails rings were worn on the right hand, making it glaringly obvious it was not a wedding band and that it was bought by your own money.
While there were no rules about what makes a ring a cocktail ring, classics among these pieces are diamond cocktail rings – a ring with a large diamond in its center, with smaller, just as dazzling stones, encircling it.
Fortunately, there are so many designs and styles today, you’re not limited to diamonds, so you can match these pieces with any outfit you please!
How to wear a cocktail ring?
Your flapper-girl ancestor would likely say ‘just wear it, darling’ but if you’re still hesitant, here are some style pointers:
- They’re most usually not for everyday wear. Wear your cocktail ring on those occasions where you feel comfortable bringing a little extra to your outfit.
- Wear it on your right hand, just like the independent women of the early 20th century! However, this is by no means a rule – left or right hand, any finger you please, cocktail rings have no restrictions.
- When it comes to choosing a finger, a long design can suit all of them, aside from your littlest one. A large and round cocktail ring can be worn on your middle finger, while smaller size rings can fit on your little finger.
- While these pieces are bold enough, you might want to consider pairing a cocktail ring with your earrings. This can give you a more elegant, put-together look.
- Wear more than one! Mix, match and play with your collection of cocktail rings. If you coordinate their styles, designs, and colors, a smattering of rings might make a better impression than just one. Remember, when it comes to cocktail rings, it’s all about fun, confidence, and razzle-dazzle!
- Match the ring to the outfit. There are so many cocktail rings – gold, diamond, emerald, jade, simple, minimalistic, bold, abstract, and a lot more than it can fit here! You can dress your outfit up or down. For example, you can amp up the elegance in the office by wearing a more discreet, sculpted, architectural cocktail ring. For a little black dress occasion, you can wear a glittering, bolder piece.
After all this, there really is no reason not to wear cocktail rings! They elevate your style, elevate your confidence, and they’re a real showstopper. If you want to start, or expand, your collection, check out our Miami jewelry store – we’re sure you’ll find a piece to fall in love with!
Leave a reply